Health Insurance Enrollment
In this section:
Do you need health insurance for yourself or your children? BEDHD can help! Staff will connect you with tools and information on your health insurance options. This includes helping you determine if you qualify for Medicaid, the Healthy Michigan Plan, MIChild, or another affordable health insurance program (see below for descriptions).
BEDHD staff can also help you navigate the Health Insurance Marketplace.
For more information or help applying for insurance, see the below website or call BEDHD:
Barry County: (269) 945-9516
Eaton County: (517) 543-2430
You shouldn't have to choose between taking care of your health and taking care of your bills. The Healthy Michigan Plan provides health care benefits to Michigan residents at a low cost so that more people can have health care coverage.
Individuals are eligible for the Healthy Michigan Plan if they:
- Are age 19-64 years
- Have income at or below 133% of the federal poverty level
- Do not qualify for or are not enrolled in Medicare
- Do not qualify for or are not enrolled in other Medicaid programs
- Are not pregnant at the time of application
- Are residents of the State of Michigan
Learn more about the Healthy Michigan Plan.
MIChild is a low-cost health insurance program meant to help the children of working families in Michigan. It provides coverage for uninsured children from birth to age 19.
Children are eligible for MIChild if they:
- Have a family whose income is at, or below, 200% of the federal poverty level
- Are NOT eligible for Healthy Kids (Medicaid)
- Do not currently have comprehensive health insurance
- Are U.S. citizens and live in Michigan
Learn more about MIChild.
Healthy Kids is a Medicaid insurance program for children from birth to 19 years of age and for pregnant women of any age. Healthy Kids provides no-cost medical and dental coverage for children. It also covers women during their pregnancy and for the first two months after their pregnancy ends.
Children and pregnant women are eligible for Healthy Kids if they:
- Are Michigan citizens or legal immigrants
- Are age 1 to 19 and in a family whose income is at or below 150% of the federal poverty guidelines
- Are pregnant women or a child under age 1 in a family whose income is 185% or less of the federal poverty guidelines
Learn more about Healthy Kids.